Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Insights and Commentary - Jennifer Angers Daerendinger

Insights and commentary from people involved in style and fashion in Vancouver

You are…
Jennifer Angers Daerendinger - Makeup Department Career Director, Blanche Macdonald Centre; Art and Fashion lover

The road travelled…
I got there the old fashioned way, through hard work! I started my career in fashion at a low end junior store and moved on to Chanel years later. From Chanel I moved to Tiffany and Company, managed the Holt Renfrew cosmetic department and now have my dream job at BMC.

The more things change…
The biggest thing I have seen change is the consumption of Designer Labels. When I started to work at Chanel in 1989 the women that shopped there were the "well heeled" women of Toronto that could afford to buy whatever they wanted. Now if someone wants to buy a Chanel bag they will do whatever they have to to own it.

The more they stay the same…
Great accessories never grow old. I just pulled out a pair of Chanel motor cycle boots that are probably 12 years old and I will be wearing them this fall.

On style…
I think that if women dress true to what they look great in they will always make a statement. If you try too hard it usually comes across as contrived and not fashionable. Always take one last look in the mirror and if you are questioning something change it.

Favorite memory/experience…
There are so many from my days at Chanel that it would be hard to pick one..... humm..... how about when I had to attend a relative's wedding years ago and decided to wear a spectacular cream silk Chanel pant suit. I did all the makeup for the bridesmaids and moms and had literally 10 minutes to get ready myself. I can't remember ever receiving so many compliments on how I looked. Rocking the red lip certainly sealed the look.

Your style…
I love fashion. Having said that I wear what I like and what works for me. I am a nonconformist when it comes to what's hot and what's not. My closet is filled with great separates that I wear depending on my mood and paired with great accessories. I was once referred to as being an "expensive hippie" and I loved the analogy!

Big fan of…
Basic black. You can never go wrong.

Insights and Commentary (this is a blog after all)...
Don't buy things because they are what's "in", buy them because they are what suits you. Go cheaper on clothes and spend your money on accessories, handbags and shoes. If you feel that a piece of clothing is wearing you get rid of it and don't stress about it. Be true to your style and have fun! It's just fashion.

No comments: