Thursday, May 21, 2009

Insights and Commentary - Beverli Barnes

Insights and commentary from people involved in style and fashion in Vancouver

You are…
Beverli Barnes - Clothing Designer

The road travelled…
I've worked my butt off since 1983, starting out as a patternmaker and then specializing in custom design for men & women.

The more things change…
Fashion has become generic and unflattering to women. Quality of construction, for the most part has gone out the window as more and more designers and manufacturers seek cheap labour overseas.

The more they stay the same…
It is still hard for local designers to get recognition for their talent.

On style...
Style is personal. People should not allow themselves to be dictated to by what "designers" are showing on the runway. Not everyone looks good in low rise pants! STOP IT!!!!!

Favorite memory/experience…
I met Halston at Studio 54 in 1979. He was and remains my favourite designer of all time. I had the guts to walk up to him. He kissed my cheek and wished me luck in my career. I didn't wash my face for a week! Truly.

Your style…
Loose, cotton or linen and comfy is the way I like to go. Too bad I can't always show up to a fitting like that but have been known to go grocery shopping looking less like a designer and more like a bag lady ;(

Big fan of…
I'm a huge fan of vintage clothing and recycling. I've been recycling since 1985. I prefer the original music though (not the recycled crap you hear on the radio now).

Insights and Commentary (this is a blog afterall!)…
People need to get off their damn cell phones and crackberries when they drive! It makes me crazier than I already am. What is so important anyway? What ever happened to good old fashioned conversation...face to face?

No comments: